LOW-CARB DEEP-FRIED ONION RINGS
3 to 6 cups vegetable oil (more or less depending on pot size)
1/4 cup heavy cream or water
3 large yellow onions
2-1/3 cups soy flour
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1. Place a heavy pot over medium-high heat with at least an inch of vegetable oil. Heat oil to 350 degrees F (be sure to monitor and maintain this temperature, or the soy flour breading and the oil will burn).
2. In a medium bowl, mix the eggs and cream to make an egg wash. In a separate larger bowl, mix the breading ingredients together.
3. Peel and slice the onions in thick slices and carefully separate the rings.
4. Dip individual onion rings in the breading, then the egg wash, and then back in the breading again, making sure to coat well.
5. Pat off any excess breading and carefully place into hot oil, in batches as necessary, and fry until golden brown and crisp, just 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Remove and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately